7.31.2017

OMG July :Selfish Sewing

...although there was no actual sewing.

For July, I had planned to play around in EQ7 and come up with ideas on what to do with the text fabric charm squares I received in a swap.  I knew because of some traveling I had planned (and softball tournaments and recovering from said traveling and softball tournaments), that I probably wouldn't get to actual start sewing anything.  And I was right.
But I don't mind.  I love to play around in EQ7.  That's what is so great about the software.  With a few clicks, I can completely change the look of a quilt.  I think the part that takes the most time is actually selecting "fabrics" from the software's stash.  Since I have over 100 different text fabrics, I decided to go for more the feel and color then necessarily finding enough actual text fabrics.  And for this project, I didn't feel like scanning in all of the squares.
My plan (hope) is to make myself a lap-sized quilt that will be "mine, all mine" to snuggle with on the couch.  Since I would like to actually finish the project, I figured simple is best.  Either squares or HST for the blocks.  Maybe pinwheels (QST).  Ideally it would be a pattern that allows me to show off as much of the text as possible (so nothing too small).  So, maybe not pinwheels.
I'm not afraid to add in other fabrics for contrast, either black, white, or some bright solids or batiks.

Anyway, here are the results of my playing with the software.

Some simple HST using a solid or batik for the other half of the triangles...





 Or just go scrappy!
 Simple 4-patch blocks with a different fabric for larger blocks in between...


 Or again...just go scrappy!
 Just leave the charms full size, and go traditional charm quilt...
 Or add another fabric as sashing...
 (I've always wanted to do a quilt with squares and chambray, maybe this is it?)

 Or a more modern look with a thin border around every other 4-patch block...


 Or pinwheels, using the lower volume charms to make the pinwheels and using alternating full blocks to showcase some of the text fabrics...


Eventually I'll narrow it done.  I keep changing my mind on which is my favorite.  But that's the fun of using a software program for designing--lots of chances to play around before cutting into the fabric!

Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal - July Finish Link-up

1 comments:

Patty said...

Fun designs. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal.

Post a Comment