OMG May: Medieval Day Costume (finished)

I met my goal for May.  I completed the Medieval Day costume for my daughter, and she won a prize for one of the best costumes!  One of her teachers told her she liked the costume better than her own.  So I'd say it was a success.  I'll admit, it wasn't one of my best efforts.  I got lazy with the bottom hem, and it was one of the worst (if not THE worst) hems I have ever sewn.  But it's on the inside, and nobody will see it.  My daughter said it can't be THE worst hem I've ever sewn, because I had to do worse when I started sewing.  I told her, no, I've been perfect from the beginning, lol!)
Here's the (mostly) finished costume.  This was before I got the hems on the sleeves sewn, but we were running out of daylight, and I wanted a photo before it was too late, because I knew I wouldn't be able to get one later in the week.  We also got some cheap garden/work gloves for her to wear with the costume.
And to prove that we really do reuse costumes parts around her, as well as the patterns, here are a few more pictures of her from another project this month.  Her class assignment was to create a news article/blog post about medieval events, and she needed photographs to go with her article.  My daughter needed pictures of a knight and a king.  They didn't have to be accurate; she just needed photos (and the kids come up with some really fun and creative ideas).  So I told her to go look in the closet at some old costume pieces.  She ended up also pulling out some of the dressier clothes I haven't worn in years, but for some reason still hang onto.  The green cape is from my husband's Robin Hood costume (from the same pattern as her plague doctor/grim reaper costume--see previous post for that whole explanation).  The gray top is mine, worn backwards, to sort of look like chainmaille. The pants are her softball pants.  The silver boots are from her brother's old Doctor Who Cyberman costume.  The black cowl is obviously from her plague doctor costume.  The velour green dress was mine.  The belts were mine.  And the Burger King crown is from one of my son's birthdays, that he then wrote "Best Mom" on and gave me for Mother's Day that year--the only reason I still have it.  The sword/dagger she made from cardboard and painted.  I don't have the version of the king photo were she photoshopped herself inside a castle.
Now I should be done making costumes until the fall when we find out what the Middle School is doing for their musical.  Time to think about June's project!


OMG May: Medieval Day Costume

Not surprisingly, March and April got away from me sewing-wise.  Lots of birthdays and spring activities mean I haven't done any sewing for weeks and weeks.  I also didn't complete my February goal of re-working my Paradiso quilt.  May is not going to be much different, I'm afraid.  I'm having eye muscle surgery next Friday to correct a double-vision problem that I've been putting off for over two years.  (It's really not a good idea to have to drive with one eye closed more often than not.)  My son actually had the same surgery two years ago, but as an adult, my recovery time is suppose to be a lot longer than his was.  So I'm keeping it simple once again for May.  And it's actually not a "quilt" goal, but still a sewing goal.

So not only is next Friday my eye surgery, but it's also Medieval Day for my daughter's seventh grade class.  That means a field trip to look at city architecture in the morning, and then a feast back at the school.  They're allowed to dress in costume for the feast.  My darling daughter doesn't want to be a princess (where she could just borrow mom's old Maid Marian costume).  No, she wants to be a plague doctor.  Something that looks like this.
Thankfully, Amazon had a mask/hat set available that looks like this.
The mask isn't quite what she was expecting, but at least I don't have to make it.  (Plague doctors use to put herbs in the tip of the "beak," but the costume mask is actually open underneath so that you can breath.)

So all that's left is for me to make some sort of robe.  This is were the old Maid Marian pattern comes in handy, and one more reason to NEVER throw out 20-year-old costume patterns.  If you look at the upper right, that's the costume I made for myself (although I used white brocade for the dress, and purple felt for the cape).  If you look in the lower left, you'll see the grim reaper costume.  Yep, that's going to be our plague doctor.  I have purchased a black microsuede fabric, and plan to make the gown and cowl/hood.  Before next Friday.  Good thing it's a pretty straightforward pattern with only five pieces.
Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal May Linkup.