5.06.2017

OMG May: Medieval Day Costume

Not surprisingly, March and April got away from me sewing-wise.  Lots of birthdays and spring activities mean I haven't done any sewing for weeks and weeks.  I also didn't complete my February goal of re-working my Paradiso quilt.  May is not going to be much different, I'm afraid.  I'm having eye muscle surgery next Friday to correct a double-vision problem that I've been putting off for over two years.  (It's really not a good idea to have to drive with one eye closed more often than not.)  My son actually had the same surgery two years ago, but as an adult, my recovery time is suppose to be a lot longer than his was.  So I'm keeping it simple once again for May.  And it's actually not a "quilt" goal, but still a sewing goal.

So not only is next Friday my eye surgery, but it's also Medieval Day for my daughter's seventh grade class.  That means a field trip to look at city architecture in the morning, and then a feast back at the school.  They're allowed to dress in costume for the feast.  My darling daughter doesn't want to be a princess (where she could just borrow mom's old Maid Marian costume).  No, she wants to be a plague doctor.  Something that looks like this.
Thankfully, Amazon had a mask/hat set available that looks like this.
The mask isn't quite what she was expecting, but at least I don't have to make it.  (Plague doctors use to put herbs in the tip of the "beak," but the costume mask is actually open underneath so that you can breath.)

So all that's left is for me to make some sort of robe.  This is were the old Maid Marian pattern comes in handy, and one more reason to NEVER throw out 20-year-old costume patterns.  If you look at the upper right, that's the costume I made for myself (although I used white brocade for the dress, and purple felt for the cape).  If you look in the lower left, you'll see the grim reaper costume.  Yep, that's going to be our plague doctor.  I have purchased a black microsuede fabric, and plan to make the gown and cowl/hood.  Before next Friday.  Good thing it's a pretty straightforward pattern with only five pieces.
Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal May Linkup.

1 comments:

Patty said...

Should be quite cool! Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts and good luck with your project

Post a Comment