5.06.2017

OMG May: Medieval Day Costume

Not surprisingly, March and April got away from me sewing-wise.  Lots of birthdays and spring activities mean I haven't done any sewing for weeks and weeks.  I also didn't complete my February goal of re-working my Paradiso quilt.  May is not going to be much different, I'm afraid.  I'm having eye muscle surgery next Friday to correct a double-vision problem that I've been putting off for over two years.  (It's really not a good idea to have to drive with one eye closed more often than not.)  My son actually had the same surgery two years ago, but as an adult, my recovery time is suppose to be a lot longer than his was.  So I'm keeping it simple once again for May.  And it's actually not a "quilt" goal, but still a sewing goal.

So not only is next Friday my eye surgery, but it's also Medieval Day for my daughter's seventh grade class.  That means a field trip to look at city architecture in the morning, and then a feast back at the school.  They're allowed to dress in costume for the feast.  My darling daughter doesn't want to be a princess (where she could just borrow mom's old Maid Marian costume).  No, she wants to be a plague doctor.  Something that looks like this.
Thankfully, Amazon had a mask/hat set available that looks like this.
The mask isn't quite what she was expecting, but at least I don't have to make it.  (Plague doctors use to put herbs in the tip of the "beak," but the costume mask is actually open underneath so that you can breath.)

So all that's left is for me to make some sort of robe.  This is were the old Maid Marian pattern comes in handy, and one more reason to NEVER throw out 20-year-old costume patterns.  If you look at the upper right, that's the costume I made for myself (although I used white brocade for the dress, and purple felt for the cape).  If you look in the lower left, you'll see the grim reaper costume.  Yep, that's going to be our plague doctor.  I have purchased a black microsuede fabric, and plan to make the gown and cowl/hood.  Before next Friday.  Good thing it's a pretty straightforward pattern with only five pieces.
Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal May Linkup.

2.07.2017

OMG February: Paradiso Quilt revisited

Sometime last year I put this quilt top together using a charm pack of Paradiso.
It started as a mini (the pieced middle part), and then when I got a good deal on the matching gray fabric to use for a backing, I decided there was enough fabric to turn it into a lapsize quilt.  I picked out the salmon colored solid, and used up the extra squares from the charm pack to give it a modern turn by floating them in the borders.  But I think I've just never been happy with the salmon color.  While I like it, I realized it's a little overpowering and just too much for me.  I recently bought a blue shade of solid, and I'm planning to rip-out the salmon and replace it with the blue.  I'm hoping it will tone things down for me.
Once I start ripping things out, I may decide to leave to leave the salmon inner border.  We'll see!

http://www.elmstreetquilts.com/2017/02/one-monthly-goal-february-goal-setting.html

1.31.2017

OMG January: Polaroid Greeting Swap

Met my goal for the month.  Made my 20 Polaroid blocks, and finally mailed them out yesterday.  Since the blocks were so easy to make, I actually made some extra for myself.  I don't have a lot of quilt-shop quality fabrics that work for fussy cutting, but I managed to pull together enough.  Here's a picture of the blocks I made to ship.
 I found some nice notecards to include a handwritten note with each pair of blocks I sent out.

 And found a reason to use these quilty address labels I had received in the mail.
I'm still waiting to receive a few sets of blocks, but it will probably take me some time until I decide what to actually make with all of them.  Now to think up a goal for next month!

1.07.2017

OMG January: Polaroid Greeting Swap

This month's goal is a pretty simple one: finish the 20 mini polaroid blocks for the Polaroid Greeting Swap 2.  I have fabrics cut, including the white strips for the frames.  Now I just need to take time to sew them up, write out the cards, and mail them.  I made myself a little frame out of cardboard so I could audition the fabrics and decide where to fussycut when I could.  Here are the fabrics I pulled and cut to make the blocks. (Pretty good winter natural light coming in the window today...)
I've actually received blocks from two ladies already.  Here they are:
This is going to be a fun little project.  I'm planning to make an extra block of each fabric I cut to keep for myself--because they're all just too darn cute!