Whew! I spent the first couple weeks in June working on these things almost non-stop, or so it felt. But all 30 book blocks are complete! Here are some of the final 14 blocks I completed this month.
Not only did I complete all of the book blocks, but I got them sewn together into the main part of the quilt. I played around with the layout in EQ7 quite a bit, after scanning each of the blocks into the computer. Here's the final layout. (It's final hanging place is going to be on a boring beige wall--I think it will "pop" nicely!)
Here are the sashing strips and corner blocks all cut out. I used leftover pieces from the "binding" part of the books in the blocks. I decided to keep it simple and went with 5 different fabrics in rainbow order (of course).
After coming up with the final layout, I sewed the blocks together in columns of 3 and then sewed those into groups of 6, before combining the final 5 panels. (Unfortunately it's so huge, that I haven't gotten a picture of all 30 blocks together, yet. So you'll just have to accept my pictures of the panels hanging on my pantry cabinet with less than ideal lighting.)
I did purchase backing fabric--Connecting Threads has some wide backing fabric that's affordable, and I chose a simple chambray-type fabric since the back of the quilt will never be seen. And binding fabric--a fabric that looks like a library book barcode. Now I have everything I need to finish the quilt--just need to get the large border strips cut and sew all the letters.
Somehow the rest of June was a bust, and I didn't get any other sewing done, and haven't moved on to the letters. I think partly because I'm putting off thinking about how I'm going to find space to bind it, and how exactly to quilt this monster.