6.30.2017

OMG June: Hour Basket plus Mug Rug (finished)

Yay! Summer is here, and I met my goal for June.  I wanted to make something for a staff member at my son's high school.  She is a person that has been super helpful to my son, and has looked out for him the past two years, but she has now resigned.  She shares my son's love of hockey, and they would often discuss games and the playoffs.  I decided to pull out my Pittsburgh Penguins fabric and some hockey fabric that I've been hoarding for a couple years and to make something for her.  I also pulled out a few coordinating fabrics in black, gold, and blue (our school colors are blue and gold).  The result was an hour basket, but I changed the dimensions to make it more square (I cut my pieces at 10.5" x 12.5").  If I make a smaller basket like this again, I think I'll shorten the height a bit.  I struggled with what to fill the basket with (since I don't know her favorite candy), and in the end decided to make a mug rug/snack mat with the coordinating fabrics.  I also added a travel mug, some chocolates, and gift cards to Target and Starbucks.  She was super surprised and super delighted to receive the gifts from my son.  (Turns out, her water bottle had just died days before, so the travel mug was a perfect addition to the basket.)  I always enjoy being able to raid my stash and make personalized items for folks.  Even better when it's a surprise.


 Goodies inside the basket
 Mug Rug (front)
Mug Rug (back)

Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal - June Finish Link-up

3 comments:

Vera said...

Neat gifts!

Patty said...

Lovely gift. Thanks for linking up with Elm Street Quilts One Monthly Goal and congrats on your finish.

Unknown said...

Nice work! Hey, if you have any of the fabric over can you make me one? XD Lady C

Post a Comment