2.01.2016

Project 48 Quilt and Pink Ribbon Hearts Quilt Updates

Since I finished a few blocks on Friday, I thought I should update with some photos here.
First up, I redid my Project 48 Quilt Block Three (Wonky Nine Patch).  And somehow I always seem to make my wonky cuts in the opposite direction from how I drew them in EQ7.  No matter.  I'm happier with this version.
For those that are curious, I started out with 5" squares this time, and stitched them together for the Nine Patch block.
Then I made my two cuts pretty much down the middle (so much for wonky improv).  Then I rotated each square and laid the ruler down at an angle (to make things as wonky as I am able), making sure I had 5" all around before cutting.
Placed the blocks where I wanted them and stitched the four patch together.
Next up was Block Four of the Project 48 Quilt: Dot.
Not sure why/how I came up with the color choices I did, but I guess it looks a little like a beach ball in the end.  I still like it.  It fits in with the rest of the blocks so far.
I've decided that Friday is going to be my day for being creative.  Project 48 blocks, Color Me Calm program at my local library, and then whatever I'm working on for the One Monthly Goal or Finish-a-Long.  So for February I'm working on the Pink Ribbon Hearts Quilt.  On Friday I went through my stash of pink fabric, which doesn't appear to be very many that go with the heart blocks.  I started pulling purples, and I have more of those than I realized.  I cut strips from the different fabrics in 1.5 inches, 2.5 inches, and 3.5 inches.
I still don't feel like I have enough pink fabrics.  I'm trying to keep this as a total "Sew My Stash" project, but I may use up a few of the pink fat quarters I have in the process.  I then put all the strips in a (large) paper bag, and sat down to sew.  I more or less randomly pulled strips from the bag and began sewing them around one of the pale heart blocks.  Here's the result.
I'm mostly happy with it.  I'm trying to decide whether to rip out a strip or two at the top and make them scrappier somehow, possibly by adding in smaller pieces instead of one long strip.  I need to think on it before this Friday.  And cut a few more strips of fabric.  I don't think I'm going to have enough!

0 comments:

Post a Comment