Books-for-Baby Quilt

My local library marked its 25th Anniversary in 2015.  Somewhere along the way, I thought it would be neat to make a quilt for the library for it's celebration.  And I thought the Books-for-Baby quilt from Patchwork Please would be a great quilt.  Only one problem, I didn't have enough (meaning hardly any) child novelty fabrics that would work as the 25 book covers I was hoping to make.  So the project got put on hold.
Right before the holidays in December, someone started a "Get Your Quilty Wishes Granted" movement on Instagram.  It was the chance I was looking for to get some novelty fabrics, so I posted my wish.  And had it granted, several times over.  I received fabrics from around the country and across the ocean.  Now the hard part is going to be selecting which 25 I put into the quilt!
Today I spent some time playing around in EQ7, drawing the block, dropping in stock fabrics, and thinking about background, accent, and border fabrics.
The finished quilt may look something like this.  And it may not.  But I think I like the idea of scrappy backgrounds for the blocks, rather than solid white or black or another color.  Partly because I'd have to buy 25 solids I don't have.  Now I need to decide whether to use batiks for the backgrounds and book accents (since I have a fair number of those collected, too), or to use something else from my stash.  Hoping to not spend too much more on fabric for a while.  I'm also trying to decide whether I want to attempt to paper-piece the library logo for somewhere on the quilt, or whether to just print something out on fabric.  But I feel like I have a little more direction than I did a day ago!


Post a Comment