I know I don't really need another quilt project, but this one came along and I couldn't pass it up. It's called Project 48 Quilt. It's a year-long mystery quilt-a-long with 48 9" blocks. Instructions for a new block come out each week. I had a little trouble deciding which fabrics to pick, since it is a mystery quilt. I needed about 6 yards of fabric (24 fat quarters), but didn't want to buy new fabric. I wasn't sure I wanted to go into my old calicoes. Then I settled on my batiks, since I have well over 24 of them in a rainbow of colors. I was planning to make something with them anyway. But I wanted a non-batik for the background fabric. I thought of solid black or solid white, but that didn't feel right. Then I decided to dig into my new text fabric stash and use those, since I was also planning to make a quilt with the text fabrics. I figured the blocks would be small enough at 9" that I wouldn't make too much of a dent in my stash.
The first block will be a churn dash block. The second block is a disappearing nine patch. I went to EQ7 to play around with color placement before cutting into anything. I settled on something like these.
I'm looking forward to this project, and maybe learning a few new skills along the way. In the end, I should have another nice lap-size quilt, depending on how it's finished.