1.18.2016

Project 48 Quilt: Blocks 1 and 2

I know I don't really need another quilt project, but this one came along and I couldn't pass it up.  It's called Project 48 Quilt.  It's a year-long mystery quilt-a-long with 48 9" blocks.  Instructions for a new block come out each week.  I had a little trouble deciding which fabrics to pick, since it is a mystery quilt.  I needed about 6 yards of fabric (24 fat quarters), but didn't want to buy new fabric.  I wasn't sure I wanted to go into my old calicoes.  Then I settled on my batiks, since I have well over 24 of them in a rainbow of colors.  I was planning to make something with them anyway.  But I wanted a non-batik for the background fabric.  I thought of solid black or solid white, but that didn't feel right.  Then I decided to dig into my new text fabric stash and use those, since I was also planning to make a quilt with the text fabrics.  I figured the blocks would be small enough at 9" that I wouldn't make too much of a dent in my stash.
The first block will be a churn dash block.  The second block is a disappearing nine patch.  I went to EQ7 to play around with color placement before cutting into anything.  I settled on something like these.
I've cut the fabrics, but haven't pieced anything together, yet.  That will come later in the week, probably after Block 3 comes out.

I know the second one doesn't look anything like the finished block, but that's the beauty of a disappearing nine patch.
I'm looking forward to this project, and maybe learning a few new skills along the way.  In the end, I should have another nice lap-size quilt, depending on how it's finished.

0 comments:

Post a Comment